Thursday, April 17, 2008

Chapter One.

And so it begins.

And bizarrely, it began, for me, in a pizza joint. Almost a diner! Alas, unlike Harry, I did not have some hot little number waiting on me, but rather, a disinterested man behind the counter. The effect of the pizza, however, was the same as the Monte Cristo: bloating.

I really liked the line about the "time honored tradition of epiphanies." There were a bunch of great moments like that, where it was clear that Mark was playing around with "literary tricks," giving us a wink, if you will, that he KNOWS these things can be hackneyed (in lesser hands).

Love the closing line. All this time in the diner, without a hint that his important meeting is his wife's funeral??? Such restraint -- like expelling a fart outside the opera house, rather than inside.

I am more than ready to find out how this Harry Rent goes about "revising" himself, and whether it is for the good or not (me thinks it will be FTG).

No comments: