Monday, May 5, 2008

Wherever You Look, There's A Story To Be Told.

Some of you may have noticed that I am a bit of a sports fan. Well I for one don't see a conflict of interests in loving both books and baseball. And basketball. Let's not forget that George Plimpton was a boxing nut (rumor has it that Hemingway dropped him during their Paris Review Interview).

Anyway, those of you outside Kansas may not be aware of the amazing story of one Zack Greinke. A flamethrowing righty, potentially the greatest Royal pitcher EVER. Now, a couple years ago Zack dropped completely out of baseball, revealing that he was suffering from social anxiety disorder ... and after battling his personal demons, he returned to the club last year as a reliever. This season he's back as a starter, and as we speak, he's making a case for himself for the Cy Young Award. He's only 24.

Anyway, on Wednesday I'm heading out to Kauffman to catch him in action. There are all kinds of stories in this world, and its up to you where you choose to look for inspiration.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike,
I love your blog. You remind me of the early days of litblogs before the coop shut down.

Question: Have you considered reading "All The Sad young Literary Men." It's by a guy named Kieth Gessen who Mark Sarvas hates (I think, I don't know that for a fact) Anyway. When you finish Hary that one might be fun to tackle. Hut Hut!

Mike Eagle said...

Jack,

Thanks for reading, and commenting!

About the Gessen, I haven't gotten around to it, though I've seen some reviews. I also remember hearing about some kind of feud between the guys ... kind of perfect that their first novels are being published at the same time. Not quite an old-fashioned throwdown, but fun nonetheless.